Sunday, October 13, 2024

Field Hockey claims its fourth A-10 victory of the season

<p>Courtesy of Richmond Athletics.</p>

Courtesy of Richmond Athletics.

The University of Richmond field hockey team won 4-2 against fellow Atlantic 10 opponent Lock Haven University Oct. 11. 

Looking for redemption after a 2-1 loss against James Madison University Oct. 6., UR quickly drew a penalty corner just two minutes into the first period, but sophomore forward Valen Luna Paratore’s shot went wide. 

The game had a stop-and-start opening with the Bald Eagles fouling five times in the first seven minutes. 

UR entered the shooting circle multiple times, but failed to take advantage. Junior midfielder Lainey Nichols attempted a goal nine minutes into the period, but the shot went high. 

Sophomore forward Clara Larripa made her own goal attempt with two minutes left in the period, but the ball once again soared over the top of the cage. 

Lock Haven did not have a goal attempt in the first period, as the team struggled to get past the Spiders. 

Paratore made her second goal attempt a minute and a half into the second period, but was unable to find the frame, leaving UR with a fourth unsuccessful attempt. 

The Spiders were awarded a penalty stroke, leading Paratore to score the first goal of the game. 

Lock Haven was awarded its first penalty corner of the game nine minutes into the period, but the Eagles were left without a goal. Lock Haven drew another unsuccessful penalty corner a minute later. 

The Spiders drew a penalty corner with four minutes left in the half. Larripa made a goal attempt but was blocked by the Eagles. 

Lock Haven was eager to even the score with just two and a half minutes remaining in the second period. The Eagles hurled a shot towards the goal, but it went wide. 

Mere seconds later, Paratore scored her 10th goal of the season, which was assisted by Nichols. Paratore, on a hot streak, immediately went for another shot, but the Eagles defended against the Spiders’ effort. 

Larripa took her second attempt of the game with just 47 seconds left on the board, but the shot went wide. 

The Spiders went into the second half with two goals and seven shots on the Eagles. 

UR maintained its momentum when sophomore midfielder Avery Russel scored her fifth goal of the season just three minutes into the third period. 

Paratore attempted yet another goal midway through the period, but the shot went wide. 

Lock Haven narrowed the score gap when it drew a successful penalty corner a little over a minute later.

With six minutes left in the period, first-year forward Margaret Scheurer’s failed goal attempt led to a penalty corner for the Spiders, but they were unable to score. 

The Eagles drew two unsuccessful penalty corners three minutes later. 

Paratore, seeking her third goal of the game, missed an attempt just 20 seconds later. The Spiders had another chance to expand their lead when they drew a penalty corner with 30 seconds on the clock. However, they were left without a goal, leaving the score 3-1. 

The Spiders had a successful start to the fourth period when Paratore continued her scoring streak with her third goal of the game two and a half minutes in. 

Larripa and first-year midfielder Grace Wiggins both made goal attempts shortly after, but neither managed to score. 

Lock Haven drew a penalty corner with eight minutes left in the game, but were denied by the Spiders. The Eagles’  misfortune didn’t continue for long as Lock Haven managed to score with just under six minutes remaining in the game, shrinking UR’s lead.

With only 27 seconds remaining in the game, Lock Haven drew a penalty corner, but it was blocked by UR. The failed attempt left the Eagles trailing behind 4-2 when the final buzzer sounded, condemning the team to its sixth loss in a row. 

The Spiders emerged victorious, making their conference record 4-0 for the first time since 2012 with the A-10 championship looming around the corner. 

“We knew we had to give 100% to win this game and we did that so we’re really excited to be 4-0 in the conference,” Paratore said. 

The field hockey team’s next game will be against Georgetown University at Crenshaw Field at 12 p.m. on Oct. 13. 

Contact lifestyle editor Abigail Finney at abigail.finney@richmond.edu