Saturday, September 28, 2024

Clara Larripa and Camila Daud's Journey from La Salle to UR

Sophomores Clara Larripa (left) and Camila Daud (right), two of the newest transfer student-athletes at the University of Richmond.

Sophomore field hockey players Clara Larripa and Camila Daud have known each other for years, but they weren’t always friends. 

They first encountered each other playing field hockey in their home city of Buenos Aires, Argentina. They have played against each other for most of their lives. Although they had mutual friends, their relationship didn’t deepen until they ended up on the same team at La Salle University in Philadelphia. 

“We didn’t really know each other, so it was like getting to know a new person,” Daud said. “I think being from the same country allows us to understand what we’re leaving behind.”

The duo started a joint TikTok account geared towards international students considering college in the United States where they share content about studying and playing field hockey abroad. Their posts include Q&As, daily vlogs and videos about their time at college.

Despite a successful season last year, their time at La Salle wasn’t what they had hoped for. 

“As an international student, it’s important to go to a place that feels right for you,” Daud said. “That just didn’t happen for me at La Salle.” 

Additionally, Martu Loncarica, head coach of field hockey at La Salle, was named the new field hockey head coach at UR in December 2023. Loncarica was drawn to Richmond’s athletic culture. 

“I was drawn to the opportunity to build a competitive program in a supportive environment,” Loncarica said. “The resources and vision here align with my coaching philosophy, and I’m excited about the potential we have.”

Loncarica strives to build close connections with her athletes. 

“I believe that to bring out the best in each player, you need to understand them not just as athletes, but as people,” Loncarica said.

Daud and Larripa were no exception. The pair had a bond with Loncarica and her leaving was a hard hit. Upon her move to UR, Larripa and Daud entered the transfer portal. 

“We love [Loncarica],” said Daud. “We would follow her anywhere.”

The pair visited UR officially in February, where the campus’s natural beauty stood out. 

“Here it’s all nature, but at La Salle, it was all buildings and the city.” Larripa said. “I really like being outdoors, so coming here was a big change.”

After transferring, the duo have enjoyed their time at UR. 

“The people here are just great human beings. Besides being excellent students and athletes, I think the community around the field hockey team is amazing," Daud said. "I know that people here want the best for me, and I want the best for them." 

This year, the field hockey team has had a strong season, holding a 5-2 record. Larripa is currently ranked seventh nationally for goals per game, with 17 points scored this season. 

“It’s not just me scoring; it’s the whole team,” Larripa said. “I really want the team to win. I love winning.”

Unfortunately, Daud is currently sidelined by an injury and has missed most games this season. Despite this, she has maintained a positive attitude. 

“Injuries are never something you plan for,” Daud said. “Thinking about all the hard work I’ve put in to be here is frustrating. I’ve learned to take on a different role on the team and help in ways other than playing.” 

Daud said she moved to a smaller boot this week and is hoping to play in their game against La Salle on Oct. 4th, a match both players eagerly anticipate. The game against their former teammates will take place at home on Crenshaw Field at 5 p.m. 

“I really want to play them, but it’s going to be weird playing against my friends,” Larripa said. “I’m used to it now, though.” 

Despite her eagerness, she said she feels nervous. 

“They know us,” Larripa added. “They know how we play, and that’s something that scares me a little bit.”

Contact writer Abigail Finney at abigail.finney@richmond.edu